Why are we in a hurry to grow up?

Posted by Mrs Money on June 4th, 2009

dressup.jpgI remember when I was a little girl I was always carrying around my baby dolls, playing kitchen, and wanting to be a good housewife and mommy. I wanted to get married, have a baby, stay at home with the kids, and just be a good wife.  While this probably isn’t most peoples’ dreams and ambitions, it was for me.  I know currently I work at a job that many people view as an “important” or “prestigious” job, but to me it isn’t fulfilling.  It isn’t something I imagined myself doing.

Why was I in such a hurry to grow up?  I wish I would have cherished the days of living with my parents, not having rent or a mortgage payment, and just been a kid.  I think I’ve always tried to be more grown up than whatever age I am.  For goodness sake, I went to the dentist today and when she asked me what I did for a living and I told her I managed a bank, she told me she thought I had just turned 18!

Sometimes I wish I could go back to those days, but most of the time I’m thankful for what I have and how hard I’ve worked to get here.  It’s so rewarding to know that I bought this house with my own money, I can pay my bills on time, I have an emergency fund, and I live a simple life that I enjoy.  And that makes it all worth it.

5 Responses to “Why are we in a hurry to grow up?”

1. K-money says:

Sure, I didn’t have a mortgage payment or have to go to work, but I also didn’t get to pick what I ate for dinner or when I went to bed. I also had little say in when I received new clothes and limits to where and when I went out and what movies I could go see. I don’t miss any of that at all.

2. Miss M says:

There are benefits and drawbacks to growing up, one the hand I love not being dependent on someone else and supporting myself. But I sure didn’t appreciate the easy days of being a kid. All that teen angst for nothing, the real struggles come later.

K-Money- You know what? I hadn’t even thought about that part of it at all!! I really appreciate you bringing that up. Very valid points!

Miss M- I know, all the silly things we worried about when we were younger. Crazy, isn’t it?

5. Frugal Babe says:

Congrats on looking like you’re 18!! Obviously you’re handling any stress your job throws at you with grace, and it’s not giving you gray hairs!