Last week I wrote that you should never let friends or family borrow money. I tried contacting my friend numerous times by calling her, texting, and emailing. I have received no response. On Wednesday, I called and told her that if she didn’t call me by Saturday night that I had no choice but to settle in court, and I really didn’t want to do that. I told her that all she had to do was respond letting me know what was going on. I said that she probably didn’t have the money now, and maybe we could work something out without having to take it to court.
They have never contacted me back.
I feel like I have two options now. 1. Forgive and forget, or 2. Take it to court. I honestly haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. There are positives and negatives to both situations. I’ve decided that I can’t be friends with them any longer because of how they have handled the situation and the stress they have put me through. True friends do not do that. All they had to do was be honest and tell me what was going on and we would have been understanding. Now I’m down to making a hard decision.
If we forgive and forget, I can get closure faster, but I won’t get my money back. I can stop worrying about what is going on, and move forward. I won’t have them in my life any more, and that hurts more than I could ever imagine, but that’s how it’s going to have to be. One of the things that’s holding me back from forgiving and forgetting is that I feel like they are getting away with something they shouldn’t. They borrowed the money, and they should pay it back. They shouldn’t have booked a vacation to Florida instead of paying me back (yes, they really did that).
If we take it to court, we may get our money back or we may not. I don’t know how taking it to court works, and chances are if they don’t have the money, I don’t know how I would get it back. Like a wise friend told me, “you can’t get blood from a stone.” I don’t know if the court would garnish paychecks or what, so there’s the possibility that we would get it back. Plus, the thought of taking it to court stresses me out, and I don’t really need any more stress and anxiety in my life.
So I’m now stuck trying to make this hard decision. Do I let it go, or do I try to get it back by going to court? What would you do?