Well Thanks, Murphy. Glad we Had that Health Insurance.
I probably shouldn’t have made the last post I did complaining about health insurance. As it turns out, my daughter ended up having to spend two nights at our local children’s hospital, including Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. I noticed that she had swelling on one side of her neck on a Wednesday night. We all had been ill so I chalked it up to swollen lymph nodes and texted a picture to our neighbor who is a pediatrician (she was sick or she would have looked at her). She said it did look like lymph node swelling and to make an appointment with our pediatrician in the morning.
The next morning, I took her to our pediatrician and she agreed, that it looked like a swollen lymph node but because she’s young she wanted to make sure so she sent us for blood and lab work. We went, had blood drawn, and waited for the results. Of course, as a mom, I started worrying about worst case scenarios (lymphoma, leukemia, etc) and it was hard to wait for the results. The CBC (white blood cell count) came back good, as did the crp (checks for markers of inflammation). Our doctor said we would give it a week and check it again. Well, the night before her check up I feared it was getting worse. The next day our doctor agreed and sent us for an ultrasound on it at the children’s hospital.
We went at ten Friday morning for the appointment. While we were in the ultrasound I asked a few questions and the way the tech replied made me fear it wasn’t just a swollen lymph node. She said she needed to check with the doctor to see if he needed any additional pictures, left, and was gone awhile. She came back, took a few more pictures, and was gone for even longer. When she came back she told me that our pediatrician was on the phone wanting to speak with us.
I honestly couldn’t really tell you what she said except it wasn’t good and we were immediately getting sent to the emergency room to see some specialists. It wasn’t a swollen lymph node. We ended up seeing an ENT (Ear, nose, and throat doctor) and they said they needed to do a CT scan to see exactly what we were dealing with. They started an IV line, she got sent to the CT scan, and after that we went back to a waiting room. After awhile, we saw the doctor who said they were admitting us and the plan of action was to start IV antibiotics and see if that would help-it was an abscess.
We spent the rest of the night worrying about it, and at 6:30 AM the next morning they decided to do surgery. She was taken back at 8AM and we were able to see her about 9:45AM. The surgery went well but they wanted us to stay to make sure everything was okay. We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning in the hospital until they released us at 2PM.
She’s doing well, and I’m glad it is nothing more serious. They determined it was staph and she’s on antibiotics for a few more days. I’m not looking forward to any of the bills and have been stressing about it but we will figure it out somehow. I will be sure to update with what happens!
Have you ever had to take your child to the hospital?