Uses for Mason Jars
A lot of frugal and green people are always decluttering, reducing, and recycling. I don’t think you should go out and buy new “green” items to fit in with the fad of being green. I think that there are many creative ways to use what you have in different ways to save time, money, and the Earth. I do think that one item that you should have on hand that can be used for many purposes is mason jars. If you are into garage sales, you can normally find some there. I’d recommend buying pints and quarts. We also keep old glass jars from almond butter, pickles, etc. Soak the jars in hot water and the labels should come right off! They come in handy for so many different uses!
Fun fact: Have you ever wondered where the saying “Mind your p’s and q’s” came from? Back in the day, when people at the bars got rowdy, the bartender would tell them to “Mind your pints and quarts”. It got shortened, and the popular “mind your p’s and q’s” came to fruition.
What can you use mason jars for? Here are some things we do with ours:
1. Drinking. There is nothing better than a mason jar full of ice water during the summer. I like to add a slice of lemon. It’s funny- when we have company and run out of glasses, I use my glass jars, and everyone gets a big kick out of that, especially the kids!
2. Food Storage. Sometimes I have leftovers and it’s not enough to warrant using our Pyrex glass storage containers. I also like putting homemade yogurt, kombucha, and other beverages in them. Dehydrated fruits and vegetables also store well in them!
3. Canning. The past couple years that we’ve grown our garden, I’ve canned tomatoes. They have turned out fabulously, although I am not sure they are saving me money.
4. Decoration- If you put some marbles, glass beads, or other trinkets, the jars would be such a cute display!
5. Fermenting foods. Ever since I tried make your own sauerkraut, I’ve been hooked on the idea of fermenting my own foods. Glass jars are the best for this!
6. Collect loose coin. Think of what cute change jars they would make!
7. Make your own candles. Candles in mason jars are awesome for around your house, or even for gifts!
What do you store your leftovers in? Do you have Mason jars at home?