The Many Uses of Coconut Oil

Posted by Mrs Money on November 23rd, 2009

200253705-001Coconut oil is amazing, plain and simple. You can really get a bang for your buck when you buy coconut oil.  It’s not expensive and is so versatile!  You can eat it, cook with it, and even slather it on your skin. It’s great for you any way you use it! Coconut oil is antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, and antibacterial.

You can buy coconut oil online or at Walmart, Kroger, or your grocery store.  Look in the aisle with the oils.  I either buy the Spectrum organic coconut oil * or the Lou Ana Coconut oil from the store.

Benefits of coconut oil

Hair Care: coconut oil is an amazing hair conditioner. I put a tiny amount on my hand, wait for it to melt, and then rub it into the tips of my hair.  Not only does it condition it, but my hair shines and even curls better with coconut oil!  I put it on my hair after blow drying it in the morning.  You can also massage your scalp with it at night for extra oomph and protection against dandruff.

Skin care: It is awesome as a moisturizer.  You can slather it all over your body and not worry about nasty chemicals making their way into your bloodstream.  One thing I love about coconut oil is that the oil really dries and is not oily after a few minutes.  Coconut oil is also effective against some skin problems, like ringworm and psoriasis.

Immunity: Coconut oil kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, SARS, etc according to the Coconut Research Center.  It can also be used on diaper rash or yeast infections because it is anti fungal.

Massage oil: I like to mix my coconut oil with a few drops of essential oils and use as massage oil.

Lubricant: Not only does it, um, help making things pleasurable, but if you use it as a lube, it can help your body “down there”.

Digestion: The fat in coconut oil aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.  The anti-bacterial properties help control fungi and parasites in the digestive tract.

The health benefits of coconut oil are vast.  It is one of the most beneficial oils you can buy.  And as versatile as it is, you will definitely be saving money by using it in many different ways.

Have you tried coconut oil?

*referral link

23 Responses to “The Many Uses of Coconut Oil”

1. Miss M says:

Um, where do you buy it? I can’t recall seeing coconut oil before, other than on an ingredient list.

Sorry; I should have included that! I edited the post to reflect that. You can buy it at the grocery store normally, or even Walmart. It is located around the oils. :)

2. cavewoman says:

I’ve been curious to try it. A friend of mine uses it on her gorgeous hair, and it seems to work well for her.

Where did you learn about using it for your skin? I’d love to read up a bit more on it, before I take the plunge.

(I’m trying to go all natural with hair care.)

I heard about the oil cleansing method to clean your skin on a message board and then decided to try the coconut oil. It does work well!

Do you do the ‘no poo’ method?

3. Sue says:

I get my CO at Tropical Traditions – and use it in my coffee, recipes, on my skin, in my hair… I love the stuff! :)

Awesome! I am happy to see another fan! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

4. Catherine says:

I’ve been hesitant to try it, but I don’t like the smell or flavor of coconut (whether the artificial crap or the stuff right out of the shell). Does it smell/taste like anything?

Honestly, I don’t think it smells or tastes like coconut. It is very very light in fragrance, almost fragrance free. You should buy a jar of it and try it!

5. Stephanie says:

I would also be interested in where to buy it…..

I’ve edited the post to include where to buy it. :) You should be able to find it at your local grocery store around the regular cooking oils. Let me know if you have any other questions!

6. Charles says:

I accidentally bought hand soap with coconut scent. I like the soap, but i really don’t like the smell. Do hair products with coconut oil give that coconut smell as well?

I don’t know about the hair products with coconut oil, but the coconut oil itself doesn’t really have a smell. I really like it for that reason!

7. oh my goodness!!! i was in an herbal store yesterday and looked at the coconut oil for at least 5 minutes. i’ve seen this oil mentioned around the blogosphere but didn’t quite know how i could put it to use. vegans love i and raw foodies can’t get enough of it. hmmm, my interest is officially piqued … gotta try it! have you tried it in or on food?

I’ve made some raw cookies with it, put it in oatmeal and smoothies, and used it like butter. It’s great!

8. Wendi says:

Thanks for the tips on skincare. I’ve been eating my coconut oil but never thought to use it in other ways. I’m becoming more and more wary of putting lotions on my skin to moisturize but have been at a loss as to what to use. You’re an answer to my prayers.

I buy mine online at http://www.tropicaltraditions.com they’re always running sales. It’s all organic. I have nothing to do with the company just love the products.

You are too sweet! :)

I appreciate that link! The Spectrum brand is great, but so expensive! I’ll have to buy it from Tropical Traditions next time. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

9. Erica says:

I have been using organic coconut oil in my hand made soaps and shampoos and it works great! I also got a great deal buying in bulk online!

Purchase Organic Coconut Oil

Erica- Do you buy soap making supplies from this site? I am looking for a good place to buy stuff from! :) Thanks so much for that link!

1. Oil Cleansing Method | Ultimate Money Blog 25 11 09
  2. Interview with Mrs. Money (from The Ultimate Money Blog) 28 01 10
  3. How Do You Shop- Online or Locally? | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! 16 03 10
  4. All Natural Lubricants- Frugal and Fun! | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! 19 05 10
  5. Green Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas Some great ideas, including coconut oil! | Health Impact News 07 02 11