I love gumbo, and this is a quick and easy recipe. It shouldn’t take more than half an hour to make!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra
- 8 ounces smoked (precooked) andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water; stir in okra and sausage. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; if desired, serve with cornbread.
Easy enough? I’d love to hear if you try these recipes or any feedback. Also, if you’ve got a recipe you’d like to share, please leave it in the comments!