Spending Money on Traveling to Hawaii?

Posted by Mrs Money on July 16th, 2010

Mr. Money and I will be celebrating our five year wedding anniversary this September.  We went on our honeymoon to Hawaii, and said that we’d go back for our five year anniversary.  Of course, we also said we’d go back for our one year, but that obviously didn’t happen because, hello, Hawaii is expensive!

We’ve been kicking around the idea of going back to Hawaii for our five year anniversary.  This could possibly be our last big trip before we become parents.  We’re not sold on the idea that we need to vacation to Hawaii because our frugal side is speaking louder than our fun side.

IMG_4567
Creative Commons License photo credit: rawtrigger

We figure it would probably cost around $2,500 to $3,000 for the whole trip.  That is a lot of money, especially considering that I want to stay at home with our baby when the time comes.  I feel like if we spend that money on a trip, that may hinder my dream of staying at home.  I would not feel good about that.

On the other hand, we have paid off over $36,000 in three years. We have bought (and almost paid for) a new to us car. We have the cash to fund our trip. We almost feel like we deserve to go on this trip to Hawaii.

We’ve talked about making a compromise and going on a road trip and just camping.  That’s something we’d also enjoy and it wouldn’t cost us nearly as much money.  However, we really don’t want to regret not going to Hawaii, especially if we end up getting knocked up soon.

What do you think we should do- splurge and go to Hawaii, or be sensible and do something else?

30 Responses to “Spending Money on Traveling to Hawaii?”

1. Such an interesting dilemma! First, I would congratulate myself for being able to afford to go to Hawaii in the first place. That is awesome!

If you go to Hawaii, will it jeopardize your plans of being a SAHM in any way? Maybe delay it? If it won’t affect your plans too much, I say go for Hawaii!! On the other hand, you could make it a 10 year anniversary trip and have a relative babysit, or bring the wee one with you.

Robyn- It wouldn’t delay my plans, but that would be less money saved… the frugal side of me thinks it’s silly I’m even considering going :(

2. Caitlin says:

I understand the dilemma! Personally, I would go to Hawaii. (Especially if you end up knocked up soon) you are going to have very few chances to take a trip somewhere alone with your husband somewhere that is very special to you. That’s one lesson I have learned from my sister, who has two babies and a rare date with her husband. And I also think that while camping is a lot of fun, it is something that can be done any time. Hawaii is not something that can be done at the drop of a hat.

After all of the work you have done to get out of debt, you are right, you deserve this. So take a very close look at your finances, consider how spending this money might affect your future as a stay at home parent, and you can make this decision yourself without feeling guilt!

Caitlin

Caitlin- I am surprised to see the majority of people saying to go for it! It’s something we’ll really have to think about. That’s a lot of money to drop for a week. ;)

3. AJ says:

I vote for going to Hawaii! Get that amazing vacation in before you have a kid. :) If it won’t put a huge dent in your financial responsibilities or savings, do it. You paid off all that student loan debt in a relatively short amount of time. I’m sure you can make up the $2500-$3000 in no time at all.

AJ- Thanks for the “go” vote!

4. Maybe you can do it cheaper. One of my friends lives in Hawaii – and when she got married, she suggested we come out and spend time in one of the local campsites. You can rent a cabin in a park for much less than you would spend at a hotel – and have access to the beautiful spaces in the park (not everything in Hawaii is resorts and beaches – there are beautiful mountains and rainforests and volcanoes to explore). You could rent bikes or go hiking. There are less populous beaches. Many options that might help reduce that overall cost a bit (tho’ you still have to figure out how to get there :)) Just hop on the computer and look around, maybe you’ll find a secret locals spot that will be better than your honeymoon spot.

ami- That’s a good point! I think we would love renting a cabin. Thanks so much for the great idea!

5. If all you have in savings is $2500 to $3000, then I would say maybe that’s not such a good idea. Once I had my children, I never wanted to be away from them, so if you don’t go now and wait until you have your babies then it will be a little more expensive, depending on how old the littles are when you do go. On the other hand, I think it’s fun to keep our promises to ourselves. It sounds like you had an awesome time on your honeymoon, and it would be romantic and fun to relive that time in your life. Plus, who knows, maybe you’ll conceive while you’re there since you’ll be relaxing and resting and having fun.

Mrs. A- Good points! I am just having a hard time thinking about spending that much on ONE week, you know?

6. Jenny says:

That is a tough one! With two little ones, a trip to Hawaii alone with my husband is like a fantasy. Vacations with babies, while lovely in their own way, are a totally different thing. We never took the time to do a bunch of traveling before having kids (although we did have a honeymoon) but if we’d had a chance like this we’d have done it, as long as we could reasonably afford it. Once you have a baby, no amount of money will be able to buy you this experience the way you would’ve had it. For instance, even if we had $3000 for the trip and my parents said they’d keep the kids (once Ivey finishes breastfeeding), we’d go and I’d start thinking about how excited Suzi would’ve been to look out the window on the plane. Then I’d wish Ivey was there to play on the beach. We’d think about going on tours and to events but if it’s something the kids would’ve enjoyed we wouldn’t go. We’d miss them a lot in a few days.

To make up for my paycheck when I started staying home, we cut a bunch of recurring monthly expenses like expensive cable TV and that helped us make up a good chunk in our budget. I’d go for cutting inconsequential stuff like that first, and take the vacation if at all possible.

Plus it would be so cool to get pregnant in Hawaii.

Jenny- I hadn’t thought of those things. I’m glad you pointed them out! I am sure once we do have kids I would feel that way. Plus, it would be so expensive to take them with us.

7. It’s not a tough one, it’s an easy one. Go to Hawaii, don’t have kids, go back next year. Less stress, more fun.
    Boom. My work here is done.

Greg- LOL Then if we don’t have kids, we’ll have even more money and won’t have to worry about money at all. ;)

8. Mysti says:

While I think it would be nice to take a trip for your anniversary….maybe not Hawaii. You have already been there, so it isn’t like you will say…I wish I had visited HI. Maybe still take a trip, but somewhere between camping and HI.

What about Niagara Falls? Or Napa?

Mysti- Napa would be fabulous! I would love to go back to Hawaii, but we’ve already been there and I’d like to go to different places too, even with as fabulous as Hawaii was.

I say go on vacation, but not Hawaii. You can surely find a really nice, relaxing, romantic getaway for a fraction of the price.

Listen to your frugal side! Cuz yeah, that’s a lot of money that could help you be a SAHM!

But definitely go on some trip :)

Kacie- That’s exactly what I think. I think it’s SO much money to spend on one week. Hawaii was fabulous and I don’t want to regret not going back, but at the same time we’ve been there once and should be thankful for that. I thought about going to another beach and enjoying that. Or just going camping or something. ;)

10. Becky R says:

go on the trip, relax, and come home with a little souvenir.

Becky R- Thanks for the “go” vote! It’s surprising how many people have voted to go!

11. EMO says:

Hawaii!

EMO- Thanks for the vote! ;)

12. Go to Hawaii. It’s something you’ve looked forward to for 5 years!

What is the purpose of money? To sit around in a bank?

Sometimes we get so into living frugally that it is easy to overlook why you are frugal. So you can spend it on more meaningful things: retirement, kids and experiences (including Hawaii).

Bucksome- I think that is a great point. I’m just worried if we spent the money on Hawaii and then needed it say, for kids, I’d regret it. I think we just need to realize that’s why we save money and go on a nice vacation. :)

13. Put the money idea aside for a second and think about the memory aspect. You’ve already been to Hawaii and are hoping to by a mommy soon, so you may want a few different places in that memory archive to visit. I live in Houston, so a week long trip to Colorado would be great. My vote is for a $1500 week long vacation somewhere that you can make great memories of as well. Then you’ll have the other $1500 in a bank where you can feel secure about it.

BITFS- I think that’s a great plan. One of the reasons I think I want to go back to Hawaii is because I want to relive our honeymoon. It won’t be exactly like that, and I need to realize that. I think we should have a nice vacation, but not go overboard like you said. I’m really surprised at the number of people that told me to go to Hawaii! :)

Thanks for your comment!

14. Well if that’s what would make both of you happy then I think you should go for it. Just think of it as your reward for both your five year waiting and hard work. The expense that will cost you are simply the worth of an amazing experience and bonding moment together. After all, five year is a lot of sacrifice maybe its just a great way to pay all your waiting.

1. Tweets that mention Spending Money on Traveling? | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green!, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! | Spending Money on Traveling to Hawaii?, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! » Blog Archive » 16 07 10
  2. Rent a Car to Save Money? | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! 10 08 10
  3. 2011 Financial and Life Goals Recap | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 02 01 12