Our Mail was Stolen

Posted by Mrs Money on December 26th, 2011

Yesterday morning I asked Mr. Money to go and get the mail, as we were expecting a card from his dad.  He went out to get the mail, said there was nothing in there, and not an hour later did we get a knock on the door.  It was one of our neighbors down the street, bringing us mail that had our address on it that he found in the ditch. Nice.

He found a card that my aunt had mailed to us, ripped open, card and envelope in the ditch.  There was also an empty envelope from our bank.  Great.  I figured out that it was actually our credit card statement, completely missing.  I do feel better that it wasn’t a bank statement, as those have our full account number and other information on them.

I called our credit card services company to cancel our cards.  She said we shouldn’t be too worried because the full account number is not on the statement, and if anyone tried to purchase anything online they would need the security code on the back of the card, which they wouldn’t have.  Also, we’re not liable for any fraudulent charges that anyone may make.  I still canceled both my card and Mr. Money’s just to be safe.  What stinks is that I was planning on ordering our crib this weekend and now I’ll have to wait until we get the new cards.  Ugh.  What a pain!

I made sure to enroll our bank statements in paperless statements now so that there’s no chance that anyone can steal those.  I feel better about it, and will just have to make sure I print one each month, or at least back it up digitally.  What a pain!

I’m a little freaked out that they stole something else that I have no idea about, but I guess there’s not really a way for me to know that.  I’m pissed because I feel like I’ve been violated.  What idiot goes around at Christmas time stealing stuff out of people’s mailboxes?!  They’re lucky I don’t know who they are.

Mr. Money has suggested getting a post office box, but I don’t really want to have to deal with that headache.

Do you think we should take any other precautions?

6 Responses to “Our Mail was Stolen”

That is terrible and I’m sorry! Ugh!!! I think going paperless is a good idea. A PO box probably isn’t needed unless it happens again.

When I get mail about our credit card the full nubmer is on there and that makes me so mad. We have paperless for that, too, but they still send junk.

2. Cortney says:

It is very common for this to happen to people this time of year. Thieves rip open mail to look for gift cards and cash that family members may be mailing as gifts. This is why we have a mailbox that locks. This is also why we have paperless statements for all of our bills, CCs and bank statements.

I would either get a locking mailbox or P.O. box.

3. Alisha says:

I would recommend a locking mailbox. Po boxes require fees but the locking box is a one time purchase.

Alisha- We ended up getting a post office box for six months. It was only $18. I do really like the idea of the locking mailbox. I think we’ll re evaluate after six months and see if we still like using the post office box. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

4. Cash Waren says:

I would agree with Mr. Money on getting a PO box. Just have that PO box for bills and other important letters that may have personal information in it and you can use your home address for non-important mail such as catalogs etc.

5. Ryan says:

You might also want to freeze your credit with each of the three bureaus since some of your financial documents are missing. This prevents anyone from applying for new credit as if they’re you, even if they have your personal information.