My Husband Lost his Job

Posted by Mrs Money on November 20th, 2012

So, this is a post I never thought I would be writing.  After seven years of working for the same company, Mr. Money lost his job.  I think we’re both still in shock and will try to figure out what is the best plan for our family.  I am so thankful that we have always been able to live on not a lot of money, so it’s not like we’re going to feel a huge lifestyle downgrade.

I hope he is able to find a job quickly and that it is even better than the last one he had.  Benefits would be amazing!  Right now we have to pay for our really crappy health insurance ourselves and it’s expensive and doesn’t cover a lot.  Better health insurance and a 401k plan would be amazing.  While we’re at it, I’ll take good hours too. ;)

I’m trying to come up with some ideas to make money from home for myself.  I could start babysitting now that Mr. Money is home to help but after he goes back to work it may be difficult.  I am sure I will come up with something that will help.  For right now, we’re trimming our budget down to the necessities and seeing how we can save money each month.  We had to stop our retirement contributions temporarily too.

I’m trying to stay positive.  It’s scary when you are a one income family with a baby and your one source of income is eliminated.  :(  We’ve gotten through everything before, so I’m confident that we will come ahead out of this and things will all work out just fine.

20 Responses to “My Husband Lost his Job”

1. Karen says:

Thinking of you guys. You will get through this. <3

Karen- Thank you!

2. DecMeadow says:

I just lost my job this past Friday and I understand how you’re feeling. The best thing about it is that a lot of household chores that have been put off are getting finished right now. I know you can get through it because He does not put anything before us that we cannot handle!

Just know you have a great support system and rely on that if need be!

DecMeadow- I completely agree! I am trying to stay positive and we’re going to try to get a lot done around the house that has been put off. I hope you find a new job soon!!

You WILL get through this!

Kacie- Thank you!!

4. Jenny says:

:-( I’m sorry. But also, it definitely seems like you have the discipline, attitude, and knowledge to handle this. Hopefully there’s a better job somewhere waiting for him!

Jenny- Thank you! I agree- I think there is a much better job out there for him. I hope he enjoys his next job even more, and the pay and benefits are better too!

5. Nicole says:

That’s terrible! But you will get through this!

Nicole- Thank you so much for your support!

6. Oh Mrs. Money! I am so sorry to hear about this, but I am sure it is going to be okay. It sounds like you have some savings to fall back on for the time being. Try to focus on the positives instead of the negatives. I know money worries can be very stressful. I will be keeping you in mind and just to let you know I will be using your Amazon Affiliate link to buy from Amazon and hopefully that will help you out a little. Hugs, Mrs. A

Mrs. A- Thank you. We are trying to be positive about this all, and I hope his next job is much better than the one he just lost. I think there are bigger and better things out there for him!

7. cavewoman says:

Oh, my dear…I am sorry.
    I went through the same thing 7 years ago and it was scary.

You will get through this.

Treat the job search like it is a job, and soon he will find something.

Is there a certification in financial advisorship? Could you hire out your budget planning services?

How do you feel about house-sitting/pet-sitting?

Lots of folks go out of town during the holidays and if you are around to go check on the house/pet that is a service that is appreciated.

I used to do that when I first got out of college. Earned a little money to smooth things over.

Right now retail businesses are going to need part-time help.
    Maybe work part-time, and use the rest of the time to job search?

Many blessings to you both.

cavewoman- Thanks so much for your advice and support. Those are some awesome ideas. I’m trying to get things in order this week. :)

8. frugal expat says:

Hi, sorry to hear that. I am a newly wed Mum and I can imagine the fear and worry if confronted with that kind of situation.

Stay positive. It is not the end of the world. For sure, Mr. Money will find a job soon.

9. Mary says:

Ughh so sorry to hear about your’s husband’s job loss. It sucks, I know. And can be super scary when it’s your only source of income. We went through the same thing back in May. The Hubby was out of work for 5 weeks, and we got by with unemployment as our only source of income. We downgraded our cell plans, cut out cable tv and netflix, we held off on most purchases, and found lots of free local entertainment, among other things. Hubby ended up finding a better job with much better hours and much less stress… all for the same salary, which is awesome.

I think that those that already live frugally can get through this situation easier than others, and then can come out of it on top of the pack! It’s tough and it’s scary, but I’m sure you guys will come out of this stronger than before. Good luck :)

10. Sara says:

I am a new mom of twins. I would love it if there was someone in my area (like your husband) who could go grocery shopping for me, pick up a starbucks, start dinner for me – or bring me hot dinner! – start a load of laundry, etc. In the case of a guy, he could also do more “handyman” heavy-lifting projects as well. Or things I don’t have time (or energy) to do like put up a shelf, picture, or fix the leaky faucet. You should have him contact a local multiples group leader and see if they would post an advertisement in their monthly news letter if someone would like to hire him. He could even bring your daughter with him! If you’re in Wisconsin he could sure help me out!

1. Surviving a Pay Cut | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 03 09 13
  2. I Don't Have a Cell Phone | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 30 09 13
  3. A Minimalist Christmas | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 18 11 13