My Frugal Furniture Fudge Up

Posted by Mrs Money on March 17th, 2009

For ‘Fess up Friday I told you all how I had “ghettofied” my old tv stand. After a few comments about it, I decided I would show you all my frugal fudge-up. You are welcome to LOL with me if you’d like. This is an example of where “frugal” becomes “CHEAP”.  It’s okay, I realize my problem and I am working on it. :)

Here is the before picture. I hated how tall it was, and the fake press board wood plastic sticker stuff (how’s that for technicality?) got STICKY. It was so gross; no matter what I did I couldn’t keep it clean. Plus, the top was a nice little dust trap. And I hate dusting!

And here’s the picture after I massacred it with my handy dandy jigsaw. Yeah.  My reasoning was that I was going to give it away anyway, so why not try to make it into a piece of furniture we may like?  If it’s really bad (like it is) then we can just get rid of it.

And here’s the worst part. I guess I could get some fake wood sticker stuff like you line your cabinets with, but I think I’m just going to keep scouting the thrift stores. I think I’m going to stay away from furniture renovations for awhile!

6 Responses to “My Frugal Furniture Fudge Up”

1. K-money says:

Even if you covered up the exposed press board with a dab of brown paint it might look better because it would blend in a little. That little bit better may help you have less of an urgent feeling to get a new one.

2. Miss M says:

I’d get a wood stain in a similar color to the pictures o wood and stain those little exoposed parts. Then they would blend in, I don’t think it looks bad. It was too tall relative to its width before, just stain those little bits and it will be fine.

3. Catherine says:

I agree with K-money and Miss M — just a little paint or stain and it’ll look great! Also, if you have some sandpaper, you could sand the edges down a bit before you paint/stain. I think it looks great, don’t be so down on yourself. :)

Thanks, ladies! I think I’ll try to save it. Maybe if I replace the handles that will help too. I’d much rather save the money than spend it right now!

5. Pamela says:

I say throw a pretty piece of decorative cloth over it! I have a pretty Indian table cover that is usually used to put over tables during celebrations… I use it all the time though. BTW, I like the remodeled piece better than the original!

Pamela- Thank you! That is a great idea. I like the remodeled piece better too. I think it looked really goofy before! ;)