My Free Living Room Makeover

Posted by Mrs Money on September 23rd, 2010

Before
before.jpg
After
picture-055.jpg
We all know I like to take on home improvement projects that are just too big for me sometimes. That’s just my personality. A few weeks ago, I decided that I was sick and tired of our living room and having it feel like a cave. I wanted to brighten up the room, so I decided I would paint, especially before we replace the flooring. Using the Points I had accumulated, I redeemed them for a $50 gift card to Home Depot. I went there, picked out my primer and paint, and went home and got started.

I spent many, many days off working on priming, taping, sanding, trimming, and finally painting. It took me a few weeks with me working off and on, but I love the end result. The best part for me? I didn’t have to spend anything out of pocket. Using my bank’s rewards program and my own time didn’t cost me a penny. Also, I reused everything that I had existing: curtains, pictures, decor, and lamps.  That was really inspiring to me.  I decided on a light neutral color because I wanted the room to feel open and airy.  The only windows in this room are pictured here, and they sometimes don’t provide enough light.  Now the room feels so much cleaner and bigger! Next project up is replacing the flooring!

Do you like my frugal transformation?

11 Responses to “My Free Living Room Makeover”

1. MIss M says:

I think it looks great, you did an awesome job. Want to come paint my house? I have a still unfinished red room waiting for me to strip 80 years of paint off the trim. We’re terrible about finishing projects. You did good!

2. Looks great!

My husband is feverishly saving up for a new TV. While we are in process of moving out the old TV and entertainment center I’m going to take the opportunity to paint our living room. It’s still plain white and I hate it.

3. momthing1 says:

I love your room! Those are my colors too, but my walls are just one color (pretty close to your bottom color) with off white on the ceilings, baseboards, and doors. I have neutral couches and maroon scarves on black rods over my windows. I did laminate flooring which is reddish-brown, and I love how it all turned out.

I hadn’t even thought of doing the two-tone with a second piece of trim the way that you did, but now that I see it, WOW, I think I just made an addition to my “to do” list.

Miss M- I would love to! We’d have a great time. :)

Ashley- I think white would be better than what we had. I called it “Army Green”. ;) There wasn’t a white wall in this house. I’ll come help you paint too!

momthing1- Thank you! I love the chair rail, and luckily I didn’t have to put that up! :)

5. J. Money says:

wow, VERY nice change! while sometimes i wanna shoot myself for owning a home (esp. in this market), the times i accomplish some nice makeovers like this make it all worth while :)

Good work!

J. Money- Thanks! Sometimes I feel the same way. More often times than not lately! ;) Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

7. Sue says:

Nice job Mrs Money.

Sue- thank you!

9. Wow, that really brightened up the room! I did a makeover on our living room about three years ago. It was all white, so I decided to paint one wall dark bue. It looks pretty sharp. I made blue curtains (from $1/yard material from Walmart), and bought a $50 couch from Salvation Army that matched the color of the wall.

1. I'm Embarrassed of My House | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! 29 12 09
  2. Hiring a Professional Versus Do-It-Yourself | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Green and Live Green! 03 09 10