Love the Home You’re Tied to

Posted by Mrs Money on June 24th, 2008

house.jpgWith the current home values dropping record lows, it’s an obvious fact that you should stay in your current home unless it’s absolutely necessary to move. While I may not be 100% content with this, I’m going to follow my own advice and stay put for at least a couple more years. I have decided that since we’re staying, I’m going to do some more home improvements to make us happier with our current home and increase the value as much as I can.

Here’s our list of things we’d like to do in the next 1-2 years:

1. Finish installing the hardwood floors in our hallway, master bedroom, and living room.
  2. Redo the kitchen flooring. Right now it is vinyl flooring and we haven’t decided if we’re going to do tile or hardwood.
  3. Paint the office and hallway (easy).
  4. Redo master bathroom. We’d like to rip out the shower, install a new one, along with a new vanity and light fixture. I’m going to tile the bathroom floor myself to save money.
  5. Install new carpet into our extra bedroom and office.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got planned for the interior of the house. I think that every project I’ve got planned will increase our home’s value and we’ll get great joy out of it. If you are thinking about selling your house, you may want to consider just doing some basic home improvements to make yourself like it more. Kitchens and baths always bring the most return, so if you are unhappy with those areas, that’s where I would start. A lot of home improvement projects you can do yourself these days if you’re a little ambitious. I have successfully tiled one bathroom and installed a few rows of hardwood flooring. If I can do it, you can do it!

¬†What are some home improvement projects you’d like to do and are planning on doing to your house?

5 Responses to “Love the Home You’re Tied to”

1. Catherine says:

If you have every dropped a glass or a dish, go for wood in the kitchen instead of tile. We have tile in our dining area and when someone drops a glass, it instantly shatters, shards of glass go EVERYWHERE and we are looking for them for weeks. However, we have wood in the kitchen and it is great. Things have been dropped and miraculously not broken. Clean-ups are easier (no worrying about having stained grout) and the look of it is just great.

Just my $0.02. :)

2. Tracey says:

I agree with Catherine. Hardwood is the way to go! ~:-)

Catherine & Tracey- Thanks for your input! I never thought about dropping plates and glasses. I’d also be worried I’d break a tile! That would be such a pain!

4. Jessica says:

Hardwoods for sure! I have had both. Tile cracks and scratches easily and then what? At least with hardwoods you can refinish them if they get scratched.Your list looks similar to mine!

Jessica- I didn’t think about tile scratching!! Thanks for letting me know that! I think that I am going to be paranoid the first few months we have the hardwoods, but the scratches give the floor character, right? It’s bound to happen sooner or later. :)