It Pays to Complain

Posted by Mrs Money on February 15th, 2010

Zebra Cape
Creative Commons License photo credit: TheeErin

Last Wednesday I decided I wanted to get my hair cut. I don’t know why, but it’s always a spontaneous decision. I drove to Great Clips, where I normally go, and noticed that there was a line of people waiting to get their hair cut so I decided I’d go to Super Cuts.  As soon as I pulled in, I noticed the NO WAIT sign glowing in the window.  I should have put two and two together then and realized I shouldn’t go in.

As soon as I sat down, the hair stylist told me we’d go wash my hair.  I knew it would be an extra charge, so I politely declined. She said “oh, it’s only $7 and you get a much better cut!”  I told her that I didn’t have the time.  She then started cutting my hair dry and using these weird scissors.  From there, it went downhill even more. By the time I left I had a total mullet hairdo.  I was so upset and embarrassed I could feel how hot my cheeks were.

I paid ($15), left her a $3 tip, and left.  I went home, looked in the mirror, and got even more mad.  I looked so stupid.  The next day I ended up going to Great Clips and having a sweet girl there fix my haircut.  I was so relieved I ended up giving her a $10 tip. That day I tried calling Super Cuts to complain to a manager.  They said she’d be in the next day.

The next day, I called, talked to a manager, explained the whole situation, and asked for a refund since I had to go spend even more money to get it fixed.  She said that they only do redos, not refunds and that I could go in sometime in the next few months for a haircut.  I declined, because I’ll never step foot in there again, and then she said that because of everything I had to go through that she would refund my money if I brought both receipts in.  I went in that night, took my receipts in, and got my refund.

Now, I will say that I almost didn’t call to complain because I am pretty shy and thought that if I called and complained that the stylist would be there and I’d have to deal with her again.  I’m glad that I did call because I got my money back.  I kept my cool, was very nice, and explained the situation thoroughly.  It all worked out in the end.

Have you complained about bad service and it paid off?

18 Responses to “It Pays to Complain”

1. A couple of week ago my husband and I went away for the weekend. We stayed at a nice little hotel in a small but charming town a few hours from home. Everything was great that weekend – the food, the accommodations, the cool architecture of the town.

Saturday night, there were some extremely loud younger people in the hallway yelling, swearing, and being generally inconsiderate of the other guests. We didn’t have our kids with us, but I would have been even more upset if we had.
    We found out the next day that a wedding party was staying there.

When we went to check out, the woman at the desk asked how everything was. We explained that all was great except for the 2 hours of lost sleep. She apologized profusely, cut $50 off our bill and said she hoped we would still come back again. We probably will!

2 Cents-WOW! That is a great success story! I am glad you said something.

Good job! I’ve had a few bad haircuts and they can really wreck your mood. Did you seriously have a mullet? And you didn’t take a pic?? I’m bummed about that part :)

Kacie- I should have taken a pic. I thought about it and then was too mad. I was afraid to call but I am glad I did!

3. H Lee D says:

There is a restaurant that we used to go to that had this amazing soup entree that I used to get every time we went. But it had mushrooms in it, which I’m not a fan of, so I’d order it without mushrooms … which got to be a joke with my husband, because they never brought it without.

After this happened maybe three times, I wrote a letter to the company, saying that if I was a customer with an anger management problem, I would get special service of some sort, and that I would like to be compensated the same way without yelling at any employees.

They sent me a gift card in the mail.

H Lee D- lol!! You handled that so well! I am glad they sent you a gift card in the mail. It’s funny you went back. :)

4. Genny says:

I think you should always speak up. :)

Genny- I am shy so sometimes it’s hard for me. I agree with you!!

5. Mrs. Micah says:

I had a similar experience at a cheap haircuttery. I’d gone there because I figured I needed something really simple and I didn’t need to go somewhere fancy. Well, not this place. Ugh. Rather than lightly-layered (just two, about an inch and a half part), it was uneven and ragged. I nearly asked the other stylist to fix it but ended up going home & making Micah even it out. Then a few weeks later I went to a two-woman hair salon which didn’t cost much but had great service.

Maybe I should’ve gone back for a refund or to ask the other stylist for a redo. I was just so glad that Micah got it even that I didn’t even want to go there again.

Mrs. Micah- I totally thought about cutting it myself on Thursday. Then I realized I’d probably not be happy with that. I’m not the best at cutting my own hair. I’m glad you found somewhere good to go!

6. It works, but just don’t do it to get discounts is the only thing I can offer as advice!

I just recently complained about my car rental from last week, and they upgraded me to a new car, all super clean and waived a lot of charges as a result of shoddy service and availability of cars.

FB- Oh yeah, I agree!

I kind of felt stupid because I went to the one place, paid, and then went to the other place and paid a lot more instead of going back to the first place. But I definitely didn’t want them touching my hair after that!

That’s awesome you got a nicer car for speaking your mind!

7. ISA says:

I always get bad haircuts; only once have I gotten what I wanted. Don’t these people go to beauty school?? lol

ISA- Are you my mom? lol- she always gets bad haircuts. I wonder where they all go to school.

8. Catherine says:

I got a hair cut I didn’t like at Super Cuts recently too! I wanted a bob and got these layers I didn’t want. I went back in the evening and the manager fixed it for free (I just had to tip her). They should spray your hair down with a water bottle. I skip the shampoo too.

It is definitely a buyer’s market with the economy and it pays to complain about bad service or high fees. I called to cancel my cable and got my monthly rate knocked down from $52 to $29, which will around $300 over a year. Companies do not want to lose anyone’s business.

Catherine- That’s crazy! I definitely wouldn’t recommend Super Cuts to anyone. The manager told me she would have fixed it for free for me too but I was too traumatized to go back. :) She was mortified the girl cut my hair dry!

That’s a great savings on your cable! I should call my company. :)

9. T.J. Mahaffey says:

Wow, this exact thing happened to me once.

I got desperate one weekend, when my regular haircut place was closed. But it drives me nuts when I set my mind to getting a cut and can’t.

So, I went to Super Cuts in the mall. Since then, I mutter “butchers” when in I’m in the mall and see that place. The cut was unbelievably crooked and the woman who did it insisted she didn’t see the problem. I paid the bill and left.

Then, I immediately drove to find another place. This time, a hole-in-the-wall place where I got a *second* bad cut.

Finally, in desperation I grabbed the phone book and found a real life licensed barber. She was fantastic, fixed my basic cut (flat top at the time) and I went back to that same barber for YEARS.

In all, I think my 3 haircuts that day cost me a total of $35. But I was more than happy to pay for the last one. She saved me a month of embarrassment.

T.J.- I am the same way! Once I decide I want a hair cut, I want it that day!!

I know what you mean. That last haircut to me was priceless! I was happy to pay her. I am glad you got yours fixed too. :)