I’m Quitting my Job to be a Stay at Home Mom

Posted by Mrs Money on January 4th, 2012

Friday, January 6 is my last day of employment with the bank.  I’ve been an employee there for over seven years, and it’s been a really tough decision, but I’ve decided that I’m going to quit and be a stay at home mom.  I’ve always wanted to do that, so this is the path I’m going to take.  I can always return to work if I have to.  When considering being a working versus stay at home mom, I considered many factors.

1. If I kept working, I’d have to pay daycare.  Full time day care is expensive, costing anywhere from $600-$800 a month!  That would consume more than one of my paychecks.  Also, if my baby was in day care there’s a much greater chance of the baby getting sick and me having to take time off work.  That would stink!

2. I’d have to buy disposable diapers.  I plan on cloth diapering my baby to save money, and if I had to put my baby in day care, I’d have to buy disposables for the baby to use while in day care.  For Seventh Generation
newborn disposable diapers, it would cost 25 cents a diaper!  That’s $75 a month if the baby uses 10 diapers a day.

3. It would be more difficult to exclusively breastfeed, and I’d probably be more likely to give up, meaning we’d have to buy formula.  It would make me very sad if I couldn’t breastfeed my baby exclusively at least for the first full year.  Staying at home will give me an advantage that I’ll be able to breastfeed successfully.  By staying home, I also avoid having to buy an expensive breast pump!

4. I’d have to pay for new work clothes, gas to get to work, more lunches out, etc.  That isn’t a huge deal, but our gas budget will decrease from me staying at home.

The biggest reason I decided to quit my job and be a stay at home mom is because this has always been my dream.  I’ve always wanted to be home with our babies, enjoying them and raising them myself.  I truly believe that it is such a personal decision, and I would never judge another mother for deciding to work or stay at home.  I think every family does what works best for their family.

I’m going to have to be careful with our money to make sure that we can afford for me to stay at home, but we’ve saved up a little bit of money to use in case we need to, and we’ve been careful with our money all along so I don’t see it being a problem.

I will admit, I am a little nervous about the transition since I’ve spent the last ten years working.  I think it will be quite the change at first, but it will be something I can adapt to and I think I’ll end up loving it.  I’m hoping my next boss will be as good to work for as my current one at the bank!

Would you consider staying at home to raise children?

21 Responses to “I’m Quitting my Job to be a Stay at Home Mom”

1. Glen Craig says:

Best of luck with your decision. I don’t think you’ll ever regret it!

We’ve been mostly a one-income family for a long time. It is scary at first but it can be done. We had a lot in savings to cover the time but we actually found that we didn’t need it.

Glen- Thank you! I don’t think I’ll ever regret it either. I have waited years to do this. We’ve saved some money in case we need it, but like you said- I hope I don’t have to use it! ;)

This is going to be a big transition for you, but you recognize that and are going to work with it. Adding in the big transition of adding your first baby– yep this is going to be a big year for you!

You can do this! Get the breastfeeding support you need early and often. Call Karen with questions. Call your midwife. Call LLL.

You’re going to do an awesome job and I know you’re ready for the hard work, too. Yay!

Kacie- Thank you! It means a lot to have the positive reinforcement. I’m so glad that I have friends I can turn to for help. It means so much!

3. Heather says:

Congrats on your decision! I hope it works out as well as you would like.

I would like to quit my job and stay home, but we can’t afford health insurance if I do that.

While I do know one person whose babies never drank from a bottle, if you are planning ever to go out and leave your kid with a sitter, are you just going to hope the little tyke doesn’t get hungry while you’re gone? And pumping while engorged but the child doesn’t want to eat is a godsend. But you could rent one if you needed one.

Heather- Thank you! I have waited years to do this, so it is really exciting.

We don’t have any family here, so I’d have to hire a sitter or ask a friend if we wanted to go out. I’ll probably not leave the baby at least for the first six months, so that shouldn’t be a problem. I do have a manual pump, but that does not sound like a fun thing to use so I’m going to avoid it as much as I can. ;)

4. Karen says:

You are going to LOVE being a stay-at-home mom. I am so excited for you!

My son only drank from a bottle a handful of times in the first year. I really just wasn’t comfortable leaving him, not just because he was small and needed to nurse, but because I would get uncomfortably engorged if I was away from him too long. It was just easier to stay close to him, and bring him along most of the time.

After 6 months, they can make it long enough between feedings that you’ll be able to get out and do lots of things if you want to leave the baby with a sitter. Before 6 months, they’re easier to cart around because they’re not getting into everything.

I left my son with his father just a couple times in the first 6 months while I went out long enough that he needed to take a bottle of breast milk (once to go to the dentist, and once to get a haircut). There is absolutely no need to spend a fortune on an expensive pump for these kinds of occasions. A cheap manual pump is a PITA to use, but it will get the job done for the rare occasion that you need to be gone longer than the normal amount of time between feedings.

For engorgement, I always just hand expressed. It was more comfortable and less hassle than the pump, because I didn’t have to sit there hooked up to a pump or clean everything.

You know you can call me anytime about this stuff, though. :)

Karen- I know I’m going to love it too. I do have the cheap manual pump but I’m hoping I don’t have to use it either! ha. I am so glad I have you to go to with questions!

5. Mrs. Money, I am so happy and excited for you! Yay! You are going to totally love your new life. Congratulations and I can’t wait for the birth announcement of Baby Money! :-) Hugs!

Mrs. A- Thank you! I think this is my calling in life. :)

6. Jenny says:

Just catching up on your last few posts after not reading any blogs for a while. Happy Last Day! I bet you’ll be just fine. Staying home with the kids can be hard, but I have never regretted quitting my job. Some days I have REALLY blessed my decision, like the day I found out the hospital where I used to work had a new policy to fire any employee who refused a flu shot–and I was pregnant at the time. We have been fine financially as well, and I’m pretty sure you’ve planned much more diligently than we ever did :-) Congratulations!

Jenny- Thank you! I am really looking forward to it too. I can’t believe I’ll have my own baby in about a month! It is crazy.

7. Corrie says:

I had a baby in July, and stay at home for one year – it’s so great for breastfeeding and being near your child.
    We are so lucky that we have good laws for families in Germany: we get fully paid maternity leave of 6 weeks before and 8 weeks after birth; mother, father or both can take time off work up to 3 years with a job-back-guarantee; parents on a leave are funded with 2/3 of their last income for up to one year; and there are child benefits. Preschool starting at age 2 is cheap or sometimes completely free.
    And parents are entitled to part-time work, so I plan to re-start working two days and gradually adding hours as my children get more independent.

Enjoy your new life with a baby, all the best for you!

Corrie- I think that’s awesome that you got to spend a year with your baby. Germany is so much more family friendly than the US. I could have taken 6 weeks paid leave from my employer and then up to three months total and have a job guarantee. I honestly don’t think I could handle leaving my baby somewhere, so I know we will do everything to make this work. Thanks so much for your kind comments!

8. Sam says:

Congrats on your decision! Being a SAHM is a $100,000 a year job and so worth it of you like it!

Sam

Sam- Thank you so much! Now, if I can find out how to make $100K a year from home, I’ll be all set! ;)

9. Renae says:

Go you! I quit my job over the summer to stay home with my son. The best decision EVER! It’s not easy all the time, especially adjusting from working with people (adults) for so long to spending your days with a baby, but so worth it!

I had to go back to work for a month right after my maternity leave and it was so tough. I spent half the day in the bathroom I think between crying and trying to pump. My supply took a major hit and I would have had to quit soon if I had continued working. We are now at 9.5 months and still going strong :-) We cloth diaper too, so if you have any question let me know :-)

1. Raises for Federal Workers and Links - Free From Broke 08 01 12
  2. I Don't Have a Cell Phone | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 27 09 13
  3. Opening Business Bank Account Tips | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 28 11 13
  4. "I Can't Save Enough Money" | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 08 01 14