I’m Embarrassed of My House

Posted by Mrs Money on December 29th, 2009

shack
I’m embarrassed of my house.
I know it may sound silly, but hear me out. We bought this house three years ago when both Mr. Money and I were making less money than we do now. Truth be told, I think we may have been preapproved for more than we should have but that’s another story. We didn’t want to overextend ourselves, so we looked for a house that fit our own price point. The first time we looked at the inside of the house, we fell in love with the house and property. It was in an area that we desired to be in, and we could see ourselves making this our own.

We’ve made several upgrades, painted pretty much every surface of this house, and replaced a lot of flooring. I’ve put a lot of time, energy, and tears into this house. It’s coming along and I’m proud of what we’ve done so far.  But I still can’t help but not want to invite people over because I don’t want them not liking my house.  I fear that people will come to visit expecting this large, modern, extravagant house, and our house is not that.  It’s a decent size (about 1500 square feet or so-plenty for us!), has been updated by us (novice do it yourselfers), and just doesn’t impress people like a new house would.

For months my boss pestered me about coming over to see my house since I had talked so many times of all the projects I have done or are planning on doing.  Finally I invited her over and she loved the house because it’s totally me, but I was still embarrassed that it’s not nearly as nice as her house.  I don’t know what I can do to get over this, but I’ll tell you this much- I’m not buying a bigger house or hiring a professional to come over and change everything.  I’m pretty content with what we have, but of course I’d like some things different.

Are you embarrassed of where you live?

image from *Susie*

25 Responses to “I’m Embarrassed of My House”

1. For me, not really

Even if my family or friends think I’m a weirdo or a cheapskate for being in a studio when I could be in something bigger, the thought of saving money and being in JUST the right amount of space is far more rewarding

I’m not overextending myself and my place is easily affordable.

I know it’s something I need to get over. It’s like I feel the need to have everyone’s approval. I need to realize that if I’m happy and can pay the bills that’s all that matters, right? :)

2. Corrie says:

There is absolutely no reason to be embarassed of a house that you love. Why should you impress other people as long as you feel comfortable in it?

I know- I need to get over it. I need to stop worrying about impressing anyone but myself. Thanks for your encouragement. :) It makes me feel better.

3. I know the feeling. I think the only way to get over it is to do what you did – invite people that you care about over to spend time with you in your home. Have a wonderful dinner/lunch/brunch/party. Rinse, repeat. Eventually the embarrassment will be replaced by the good memories and feelings of good food, connection, laughter and joy (I hope, still working on this on our end).

That is a great idea! I think what is so hard is that there was so much work that needed to be done and it’s like we’re always working on something, you know? I think once it gets more to the point that we’ve gotten a lot of things done that I’ll not be so embarrassed of it! :)

4. Sarah F says:

I have a somewhat similar situation. We bought a brand new house 2 years ago, but have yet to spend any money on any furniture because we’re spending/saving money for other things right now that (to us) are a higher priority. For the first 11 months that we lived here our living room furniture consisted of lawn chairs (just me and hubby). Then my aunt gave us a sofa and recliner chair that I believe are over 20 years old: think big orange flowers on the sofa. They were clean, and well cared for, so we took them. We don’t really invite people over either b/c I feel my house isn’t ready yet, and feel people would question what’s up w/ the furniture?

I tell myself all the time to get over it, and that people who matter don’t care, and those who care don’t matter.

I listen, sometimes.

LOL I am dying for a new leather sofa but don’t want to spend tons of cash on it right now. We have a small kitchen table in our dining room too. So I hear you on the furniture! I scour the Goodwills to look for furniture I can refinish or use.

I am glad that you can relate. :) You can come over my house and I’ll make tea and cookies.

5. Miss M says:

Aww, you shouldn’t be embarassed by things like that. Now I don’t have people over cause I’m ebarassed by the mess! But no one has ever snickered at my tiny house, at least not to my face. Wear your smart financial decisions like a badge of honor, hopefully those around you will get the message.

I need to gain some more confidence. I’m working on it. I do dream of a tiny house one day; a cabin in the middle of the woods with a wood burning stove! I love smaller houses and I’m glad we don’t have an even bigger house. :) I’ll come over and help you clean. I love vacuuming and doing laundry!

You stop it right now! Hospitality doesn’t mean having a big fancy house. You can be hospitable in any environment!

My apartment is small. A little over 900 sq. feet. Oh, and it’s halfway underground, as it is a “terrace” level apartment. That means that it’s really dark all the time. The lights are always on.

And yet, my guests don’t seem to mind too much. We always have a good time.

They’re coming to see me and my family, not where I live!

So have people over more often! ok?

You know, I need to get over it. I think once I gain some more confidence and finish more projects it will be better. I just feel like I have a bunch of stuff started that I can’t finish myself and I’m too cheap to hire someone to do it for me! lol

7. Krystal says:

I agree with Kacie. I am a single mom back in school full time and have a small two bedroom apartment. Basement level, Bohemian style. I have one uncomfortable metal futon and a decent sized kitchen table with stools to sit at.

Friends come because they love me and I love my home, so they love my home becuase it reflects me–and I make good food ;)

I’d come visit you because you make good food! That’s what I need to do- learn to be a fantastic cook so no one will focus on the projects I haven’t finished! ;) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

8. Most of the time I’m too tired to even think of having company over. On the rare occasion when I get the urge to invite someone over, the house is too big of a mess to consider it. I just need to get rich enough so I can hire a live-in housekeeper! ;-)

I don’t mind cleaning. :) I am trying to get some projects finished so I think that will totally help!

9. Megpie says:

I am but for an entirely different reason. However, I think that you shouldn’t be intimidated by not having a fancy, new, pre-fab home that are really a dime a dozen. Older homes that have been shaped and loved by you have more charm, and feel more like actual homes. And being in those big new homes makes me feel like I can’t touch anything or sit on anything because they’re way too new (read: expensive).

I love having an older, unique home. I need to focus more on it’s attributes than it’s flaws though! ;)

10. Isa says:

I actually love your house. I am currently living in my boyfriend’s house (he’s divorced) and it is sooo big; it’s just 3 of us now and the house EASILY fits 7 and it is so uncomfortable; it feels cold and empty because I don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff just to fill it up.
    Your house seems like a home and now just a house just by looking at it; most people just have houses and not homes, keep THAT in mind.

Well that pic is actually not my house. :) That is a pic from flickr. I didn’t have one of my house on the computer. Thanks for your kind comments! We don’t have a ton of furniture but, like you, don’t want to go spend a ton of money on new furniture right now. :)

11. Isa says:

sorry, I meant it feels like a home and NOT (instead of now)just a house. it was a type-o haha

12. Lori says:

Decorate, decorate, decorate!

13. a e warner says:

my house is so small. my floors are falling in. my paint it peeling off. i have no ventilation my crawl space floods. my windows drip. my sewer is shit. pee in the tub. don’t put tp in the toilet. put towels in the cracks. my neighbors steal from me. and i still can feel happy and thankful. love peace joy

14. Lisa Brambila says:

Hello, my name is Lisa and it’s 2 yrs since you’ve posted this. I am in the same situation. Our town is split into North and South Fontana. I live in the old part. Our house is 42 years old and it still has some of the original wall paper, cabinets, counters etc….. I think I”m attatched to some of this tacky look because the house was my fathers. Since he passed away and left the house to me I’m hesitant to change it. I recently joined a mommys group which meets in the North (new) part of town. All these moms have said at one time or another how they don’t even travel to the South, I”m mortified! I love the exercise and socialization aspect of the group and recently I’ve found a group of 4/5 mommies who meet for playdates and are really great girls, however they like to meet at eachothers houses. I’m so embaressed of my out of date, needs major work, dead yard house. It doesn’t help they my husband doesn’t do the “Man” things around the house and he also doesn’t care what the outside of the house looks like. I feel like because he grew up poor, he thinks that any kind of living environment is a step up from where he grew up. HELP! I haven’t made any new friends and I’m too embaressed and hurt to open up my house to change this. I’m so sad over it but as a stay at home mommy I don’t have the finances to do anything about it right now and my husband doesn’t make enough money to pay the bills so redecoration is out of the question!

1. Finding Contentment With What You Have | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 28 11 12