I Finally Bought a Costco Membership

Posted by Mrs Money on September 9th, 2008

dog.jpgFor months we have been going back and forth between purchasing a Costco membership.  The frugal side of me didn’t want to spend $50 on something I wouldn’t physically see.  I felt like that was money I was throwing away or being frivolous with.  One of our family friends has a membership there and we had been going with her.  When she left the country for 6 weeks, we were running low on dog food and decided that with as much fresh veggies and fruit we eat that it would be worth it just for those three things to buy our own membership.

We did it Sunday night.  I’ve been two times since.  The first time Mr. Money and I went grocery shopping and the next I had to return peaches that someone (not me) didn’t check to make sure they weren’t moldy.  They were pretty gross.  I’ll have to say Costco was amazing about taking them back.

We bought a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables, and even some things we hadn’t planned on because they were a really good price.   One of my fears is that I’ll go over board with the membership and buy things just because they are a good price in bulk.  I tend to do that sometimes.  I think as long as I make a list before hand and go in prepared to buy just those items I’ll be fine.  If I don’t have that list, I think it will be a million times harder to stay on track.

All in all, I am really glad we bought a membership.  I think it will definitely pay for itself over a year.  The only thing I am worried about is that we should have bought a Sam’s Club membership over Costco, but then again, it is MUCH closer for me to go to Costco, and with gas going up again, I think we made the right decision.

Do you have a membership to a bulk wholesaler?  Do you think they are worth the money?

5 Responses to “I Finally Bought a Costco Membership”

1. Marni says:

My friends and I “split” a membership every year. BJs, and Sam’s Club (not sure about Costco, sadly we don’t have it here) allow you to cards, and they don’t care if you are roommates, or two separate households. So, we buy one membership and get 2 cards, one for each of us! It makes the plunge into membership clubs much less scary. And I find I use it all the time- it’s amazing how much a single girl can save on toilet paper and laundry detergent.

2. Catherine says:

I have a membership, and I think it is definitely worth it for the high quality meat they have. A friend of the family lives around the corner from the store and when they go on their daily walks, they stop in and have samples for lunch! What a great way to get some exercise and eat a light “meal”. :-)

Marni- That is a GREAT idea! I hadn’t thought of that. My husband and I each got a card. I guess I could have left him off. ;)

Catherine- I LOVE the samples!! I think it is great to walk around and try things. That’s one of my favorite things about the store!

4. Jolene says:

Great blog!

I use to go to Costco with my mom and use her card. I found though that I was wanting to go more often then she did. Finally a few months ago hubby and I got our own card, I was worried that we might not go enough because I don’t drive and hubby works long hours. But I was wrong! We have already been there at least half a dozen times since we got the card. We’re glad we got it! They are much cheaper for things like meat, bread, eggs and cereal. I’m trying to make it so that we go every 2 weeks.

With a family of 4 buying in bulk works for us, my only issue is the space to keep it once I get it home LOL.

Jolene- We’ve gone more than I thought we would. My mom went with me this weekend and thought their produce was expensive. I need to shop around to make sure I am getting the best deal. Thanks for your comment!!