Let’s talk about health insurance options. Mainly, let’s talk about my health insurance options. I’m a planner (obviously), and I’m kind of stuck as far as options go. You see, when we finally have a baby, I want to be a stay at home mom. It’s one of my hopes and dreams, and I really want it to come true. There’s one little problem, though. Mr. Money’s current employer only offers private health insurance and not only would it be really expensive, but I’m afraid I’d be denied coverage due to the cancer scare I had a few years ago (thankfully I didn’t have cancer, but I’m afraid they’ll see oncologist and freak out).
Uninsured and Pregnant?
My plan is to work until I have the baby so all my maternity care is covered by my current insurance through the bank, and then before I go on maternity leave I will tell my employer that I will not be returning after the baby is born. That sounds like a good plan to me.
After the baby is born and I’m staying at home, we need health insurance. It’s something I don’t really want to live without. These are the options I’ve come up with:
1. Be uninsured. Not a good idea, but I could save up more money and have that as “health insurance”. Honestly, I don’t think I could sleep at night, but it’s still an option.
2. Participate in a program like Medi Share. Of course, I’d have to make sure I met those requirements, but I think I could swing that.
3. Purchase a policy through Mr. Money’s employer and hope we get covered. It would be really expensive, but at least we’d have coverage.
4. Use COBRA. I think this would be too expensive too, but it would be good coverage.
5. Mr. Money gets a new job that offers health insurance benefits. (He’s a chef)
6. Become really rich in some way and not have to worry about the cost of health insurance (ha!)
I know that there will be a lot of people that will tell me to just keep working, but I’m trying to come up with some creative options. 🙂
What would you do about health insurance if you were in my shoes?