Does Money Have an Effect on your Decision to have Children?

Posted by Mrs Money on April 2nd, 2008

dv1943015.jpgI always thought I would have children before I turned 25. Now that age is getting much closer and it doesn’t look like there will be any children in our very near future. I’ll be honest- I’m a little sad, but not nearly as upset as I thought I would be. While children are a blessing, they are also a lot of work, and I just am not ready for that responsibility yet. With the economy in its current edition, that plays heavy on my mind every day. I go back and forth on whether now (or ever!) is the right time to have a baby.

I am honestly afraid to bring a child into this world with the economy the way it is right now. I know things will never be perfect, but with all the turmoil in the world today, I am really apprehensive about choosing to get pregnant now. What if I lost my job while I was pregnant? What if we weren’t able to make our mortgage payment and bills? I would feel guilty for choosing to have a child and then not able to afford it. What type of a parent does that make me? I want to know that when we do decide to have children that we can 100% afford them. Now, many people tell me that you I will never be able to afford a child, and if I wait until then that I won’t ever have kids. I just want to be a little more financially stable.

Kids are so expensive. Sometimes I think about not having kids just because of all the money we’d save. I know it sounds horrible, but I’m being honest here! I know that with all the expenses going out for bills, and then to add a child or two on top of that, it would be a lot more money going out each month! If we didn’t have kids, we would be able to pay off more debt, save more money, and live a more extravagant life. By “extravagant” I mean less strapped for cash. Diapers, clothing, cribs… the list goes on an on. Kids are really expensive!

If we didn’t have children, our lives wouldn’t be as stressful as if we did. Right now we have two Labrador retrievers that are like our children. Sometimes they are so naughty I can feel my blood pressure rise! I can only imagine the stress children would bring to daily life. With myself and my husband both being in management, we lead stressful professional lives. Why add more stress onto our daily routines and onto our marriage as well if we could choose not to?

If we don’t have children, I think I will always wish that I did. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life wondering how it would be if we had children. I don’t want to grow old and then resent my choice to be child free. I know a couple that tried and tried to have a baby, and after a few years they gave up. She didn’t want to undergo any more fertility treatments, and they chose not to adopt. Now she wishes she had gone the extra step. I don’t want to be like that, but I also don’t want to resent the choice to have a baby.

It’s such a hard choice, and one that cannot be taken lightly. I think this is the biggest decision anyone can make in their life. Being responsible for another human being is the ultimate responsibility. While it may be good when it comes to tax time, I’m also being realistic and will be as sure as I possibly can when it comes down to the wire. Does (or did) money affect your decision to have a child?

8 Responses to “Does Money Have an Effect on your Decision to have Children?”

1. Ginger says:

I am soooo with you on EVERYTHING! I want kids but I want the time to be right! I am 27 and I am still planning to go back for a 3rd MS and I keep thinking “so when am I gonna settle down?” And what will it make of my career because after this 3rd degree I will need to start popping them out… you know…biological clock and windo winding down and all…

*sigh*

Im actually planning to post about the plight of the decision to have children and how it affects our career decisions.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart because there are days when I think I want to truly have it ALL and there are days when Im ok ith my blog, hubby and cats, LOL!

Great post!

2. Mirjam says:

I could not agree more with you, and I don´t think you should feel bad about your decision being influenced by the money issue. Nowadays we have much more choices than 40-50 years ago, when it was just something to do, without giving it more thoughts.

I grew up thinking I never wanted to have children, now, a week before turning 35 I still feel kind of the same. If I would ever decide to have children (which should be soon if at all) I would certainly rethink the whole issue of finances.

I applaud you for thinking things through, putting a child on this earth comes with a huge responsability, too many just jump in without realizing that.

Ginger- I hear you! It is so nice to be comfortable with life how it is. Our biological clocks should tick a little longer than they do now. Thank you for your thoughts! :)

Mirjam- Thanks for your comment! I feel a lot better knowing that there are others out there that feel the same way I do. I think what is meant to happen will happen. If I am mean to have kids later, I will. If not, then I can’t do much about it! :)

4. Mirjam says:

You are so welcome, and thank you for visiting my blog :)

5. Shawn Knight says:

Good post here! I have always thought strongly about this subject as well, and will probably do my own blog post on this subject soon.

But yeah, I listen to a financial radio show daily and it amazes me how many people call in with 3-6+ kids and struggle to make ends meet. Unless you have a really good paying job, how on Earth do you plan to care for six kids!? It’s just totally foolish in my opinion.

I think if someone wants to have kids, do so… but in moderation lol. 1-2, fine… a bus load? You better have a fat wallet.

1. Make Money Online by Blogging: My Plans | The Ultimate Money Blog 03 05 08