Castile Soap Uses

Posted by Mrs Money on January 25th, 2011

Castile soap is an all natural soap generally made out of only olive oil.  It’s very pure and gentle on the skin, which makes it a great soap to use for bathing.  I love to buy a large bottle of Dr. Bronner’s from Amazon every few months. It is also sometimes sold in bulk at health food stores. I’ve found the best price is from Amazon.  It looks like a lot of soap, but once you start using it to its full potential, you’ll go through it faster than you thought!

Castile Soap Uses

-Castile Soap makes an excellent baby shampoo.  If you’re afraid to do no poo on your baby, Dr. Bronner’s makes an excellent “baby mild” castile soap that’s unscented.  It can also double as a baby wash, and you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals irritating your baby’s skin.

-Cleaning the toilet is easy when you squirt in a few drops of castile soap.  Scrub using your toilet brush, and you’re good to go!  I also add some baking soda in to help with a little abrasiveness.

-Washing your face with castile soap is a great idea.  It doesn’t strip all the oils from the skin like most face washes do.  Be careful if you use the mint kind though because it can get pretty tingly.

-You can use castile soap as shampoo.  It does clean well, but you need to do a vinegar rinse afterward to get the residue out.  Add 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup warm water and use that to rise.  Make sure you rinse well!

-If you run out of dishwashing soap, you can use some castile soap and baking soda.  It will get your dishes clean and sparkling!

-Make homemade bathroom cleaner using castile soap and baking soda. It’s really easy, cheap, and effective!

-Castile soap as natural laundry detergent is a great idea!  It cleans clothes well and leaves a nice, fresh scent behind.  There aren’t any powerful fragrances like with store bought laundry detergent, so it’s great for people with sensitive skin.

-Cleaning the stove with castile soap will help cut the grease.  Just squirt a little on a sponge, add some water, and scrub!

-Stop using chemicals to clean your floors.  Add some castile soap and vinegar to a bucket of hot water, and you’ll have a nice soapy solution that will get your floors clean without polluting your home.  If you’re worried about the smell of the vinegar, you can add a few drops of essential oils to the bucket to help neutralize the smell.

-Replace your body wash with castile soap.  Be careful if you use the peppermint kind because if it gets to certain places on your body it will tingle!

Next time you’re in the store, pick up a small bottle to give it a try.  Target sells the smaller travel sized Dr. Bronner’s for around a dollar.  If you don’t like it, you aren’t out a lot of money.  I’ll bet that you’ll end up loving all the castile soap uses!

Do you use castile soap around the house?

9 Responses to “Castile Soap Uses”

1. Anne says:

We use Dr. Bronner’s, however not to the extent you’ve described. Guess it’s time to take another look at it. Thanks!

2. I’m a Dr. Bronner’s junkie! I use it for shaving, too. The one complaint I’ve heard from some folks is that it isn’t sudsy enough as a body wash to make them “feel clean” (it doesn’t have the chemical SLS, which is typically the suds-generator), but if you rub it in your hands first, it’s easy to get a lather going. I didn’t love it as a shampoo, but I’ll try it with the vinegar rinse and see if that does better. Thanks for the tip!

3. Becky R says:

I used this to make homemade dishwasher detergent for my dishwasher. But it left a film on all my dishes. I do love for baby and my body wash though.

4. Jessica07 says:

I’ve never heard of Dr. Bronner’s, but I’ll have to check it out. I use olive oil to easily and quickly remove the gunk from the grills on our Treager smoker, so it makes since that olive oil would naturally work for a lot of other cleaning purposes, too. I’ll definitely be checking into Castile soap. :)

5. Darci says:

I use Dr. B’s for just about everything at my house EXCEPT for shampoo. My hairdresser said to stop using it as it cleans a little too well and can strip your hair shaft of necessary oils. I pay a lot of money for my haircolour, and it strips it out fast, too.

Try using the peppermint soap as a mouthwash in the shower. Refreshing!

6. Mary says:

I’m intrigued that folks feel free to use castile soap on their faces and for babies. I was recently introduced to Dr. Bonners castile soap at a friend’s home and was concerned to note that the label cautions to keep away from the eyes. It also says to rinse eyes FOR A FULL 15 MINUTES if any of the soap gets in the eyes. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a cosmetic soap on the market with a similar warning. I’d be concerned about using the stuff anywhere above the neck for fear of getting it into the eyes!

1. Tweets that mention Castile Soap Uses | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green!, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! | Castile Soap Uses, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! » Blog Archive » Castile Soap Uses -- Topsy.com 25 01 11
  2. Sunday Round-up for January 30, 2011 | MomVesting 30 01 11
  3. This is why I will (probably) never buy handsoap again | TheMFresh's Blog 13 06 12