A Frugal Free Christmas Tree!

Posted by Mrs Money on December 16th, 2009

tree

Obviously you wouldn’t expect that we wouldn’t have a Christmas tree that has been used, right?
Well, we went a step further and definitely won’t disappoint because our Christmas tree has been rescued from the garbage. A few years ago, after Christmas my mother was driving around town and saw that someone threw out a Christmas tree. She has this habit of pulling things out of the garbage (only things that someone else may use!) and tucked it away in her attic for me.

The next time she came to visit, she brought the tree, and I ended up assembling it in the middle of February. Thankfully, all the branches were there. We ended up having a beautiful, free Christmas tree. It disgusts me to think that someone was going to toss a perfectly good tree in the landfill!

All of the ornaments on our tree are the ones that my mother has saved for me throughout the years. It’s really neat to decorate our tree because I have so many memories surrounding the ornaments. It is such a great gift that she’s given me. I’m thankful for my free Christmas tree and for the ornaments from my mother. It works for me!

9 Responses to “A Frugal Free Christmas Tree!”

BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks!

2. Kim Young says:

How great of your mom to do that for you. The ornament idea is one I have heard before, but I don’t think I could part with them when my kids grow up. Just thinking about them growing up makes me all choked up…I’ve gotta stop writing. :-)

Oh Kim! Tell me about it. I can’t tell you how choked up I got! :) I thought about having my own kids and how I hope I’m half the mom mine was. ;)

3. SavingDiva says:

Awesome! I think it’s great that you were able to give the christmas tree a second home :)

Thanks! I love the fact that it has a story. It was rescued. ;)

4. Tiffanie says:

I think it’s GORGEOUS!! Way to go mom!! :D We have a free tree too. It was given to us as a gift three years ago because we were too broke to afford one. A really sweet friend of mine surprised us with it after church one day. It’s been the best tree!

Aww! That is so sweet. We’ve been so lucky that we’ve never had to buy a Christmas tree. We still have the first artificial one someone gave us. It’s kind of a Charlie Brown tree though. ;)

5. Julie says:

I love it!! I have found quite a few great things on the side of the road but none as good as that beautiful tree.