7 Everyday Superfoods You Can Afford
What are superfoods? Superfoods are foods that pack a powerful nutritional punch. They are great because you can obtain many vitamins and minerals straight from these foods that you may be otherwise lacking in your diet. Some superfoods that come to mind are acai, goji berries, and cacao. Unfortunately, these are also a little more pricey and can be hard to find. Don’t worry though; you can find superfoods in every day foods! Here are some of my favorite ‘normal’ superfoods:
1. Kale, collard greens, Swiss Chard. Greens are packed with nutrients and vitamins B and C. They also contain chlorophyll which helps cleanse your blood. Greens are also high in vegetable protein and can help detoxify your body. Learn how to cook greens or how to make a green smoothie to incorporate more greens in your diet.
2. Almonds. Almonds are full of vitamin E, healthy fats, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Soaking almonds for 6 hours and then dehydrating them is the best for digestion, as the soaking helps neutralize phytic acid. Phytic acid is an anti-nutrient that prevents your body from absorbing the vitamins and minerals from the nuts. When you soak the almonds properly, you eliminate much of the harmful phytic acid.
3. Broccoli. Broccoli (and other cruciferous vegetables) is high in Indole-3-Carbinol, which is thought to promote liver detoxification and help prevent cancer. Eating broccoli or Brussels sprouts with your dinner can be a good way to pump up the anti oxidants.
4. Tea. Green tea is full of anti oxidants, and when prepared properly, tastes great. It also helps you save money because tea is cheap and a nice alternative to drinking just water. I add a little honey to my green tea and it tastes amazing! Unfortunately, when you do add sugar or sweetener to tea it does cut down on its anti oxidant properties.
5. Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are full of fiber and vitamins A and C. They make a great alternative to regular french fries when you cut them into french fry sized strips and bake in the oven until tender.
6. Honey. Honey is great as one of the natural allergy remedies. The thought is that when you use local honey, you are ingesting some of the pollen that the bees in your area have made into honey, so your body starts fighting the allergies naturally. Honey is also very healing for your body. It’s a much better alternative to sugar as it is not refined and the body processes it better than white sugar.
7. Apples. Apples are one of the Dirty Dozen list, so it is important to purchase organic apples. Apples are full of fiber, enzymes, and vitamins. They are contain phytochemicals and antioxidants to help neutralize free radicals and toxins in your body.
Eating well can help you save money because generally when you eat better, you’re healthier. You’ll also feel better and get sick less. Don’t worry about spending tons of money on the normal superfoods; just eat more fruits and veggies and be sure to include some of these everyday superfoods in your diet. You’ll be glad you did!
Do you buy superfoods?