Your Spouse’s Unfrugal Habits

Posted by Mrs Money on October 29th, 2008

throw-money.jpgThe other day I was sitting in the office checking my email, and all of a sudden I heard this noise, an unfamiliar yet recognizable whir, and I started smelling something unusual. Mr. Money had kicked the heat on. As my stomach turned, I realized I was being a little over dramatic; after all, it is chilly out and normal people do turn on their heat in the winter. We’d just been trying to avoid turning it on by using our wood burning stove and being clothed properly. I knew breakfast was almost ready, so I walked into the kitchen, and immediately stopped in my tracks. There stood Mr. Money.

In his t shirt and boxers.

Because he already thinks I’m completely nuts, and sometimes rightfully so, I decided not to add fuel to the fire, and I decided I would casually walk over to the thermostat and yank it back down to 50 degrees, where it belongs.

“Honey, why don’t you put some pajamas on? It’s not too cold in here, but I’d hate for you to be uncomfortable.” I decided my subtlety would maybe give him the hint.

“I just turned the heat on- wait a minute… did you turn it back down?” Imagine the icicles reforming on his nose.

“Yes. If you would put a sweatshirt on it wouldn’t be bad. You’ll be fine.” At this point me mumbles something, walks into our bedroom, and puts on some clothes. I realize I am lucky to be married to such a wonderful man. That was pretty much the end of our conversation.

I realize that sometimes I can go a little overboard, and honestly, we don’t keep the heat at 50 degrees, but it just bugged me because instead of putting some extra clothes on, he was turning the heat on.  A quick fix would have been to just put a sweatshirt on.

What are some “unfrugal things” your spouse does that aggravate you?

17 Responses to “Your Spouse’s Unfrugal Habits”

1. For some reason asking what my girlfriend does that aggravates me seems like a trap! Lol.

Our heat is controlled by our landlord right now but with a possible move coming soon I know the thermostat will be a point of contention. She likes it to be pretty warm and I prefer to keep it cool and not spend money. What’s more is it was snowing this morning – first morning snow I have seen so far this year. I think it’s going to be a cold winter.

2. sara l says:

That is something my spouse and father in law both do. Though thankful the father in law doesn’t parade around in boxers.

My spouses other two that drive me crazy- leaving the fridge door open and keeping his car idling unnecessarily.

3. Nicole says:

I live with my parents, and my dad is terrible at this sort of thing.
    we have a detached garage, and it’s heated. (this in itself seems unfrugal, but we are in quite a bit during the cold months) He leaves the furnace, lights and radio on WHILE THE DOOR IS WIDE OPEN and he’s inside.
    that drives me nuts…

4. Catherine says:

My boyfriend buys with the store brand of bread, even when the brand name bread is cheaper. Drives me nuts. :-P

Also, I have yet to turn on the heat in my apartment this year. I’m going to see how long I can last before I absolutely turn it on. I’m thinking it might be while I’m home this weekend, but I’m going to make a point of wearing sweats, doing some baking, and throwing on a blanket when I need to. :-)

5. Miss M says:

I’m usually the first to turn on the heat so I can’t complain about that, but what else does he do…. Leaves every light in the house on, drives with his foot to the floor burning way too much gas and spending all his money on RC car parts that he breaks within 5 minutes.

Matt- I think it’s going to be a cold winter too. I guess we’ll just do all we can. There’s no sense in being so cold you are miserable just to save money I think. Good luck with your move! I hope it goes smoothly.

Sara- my refrigerator beeps after it’s open for more than a minute. I hate when it beeps because I feel so bad! There’s no reason it should be left open that long.

Nicole- that would drive me nuts too! If you’re going to heat the garage, at least shut the door. :)

Catherine- I am jealous! I almost wish we lived in a second floor apartment so the heat would rise and we wouldn’t pay as much. lol

Miss M- leaving the lights on is a pet peeve of mine too!! Tell him to turn those off! ;)

7. frugalchick says:

My husband will leave the faucet running while he’s brushing his teeth. I’m always reaching over his sink to turn it off. He’s getting better but bad habits die hard. Oh, and he brews 4 cups of coffee every single morning when he only drinks 1 cup! It drives me batty.

8. Amber C says:

My husband is the most frugal person in the world with out trying to be. If you were to ask him – he would say that I do almost all of the things listed above. I’m working on it. I promise.

9. FruGal says:

It’s the opposite in my house – I’m the one turning the heating up and he’s the one complaining that our house is like a sauna! His most irritating unfrugal habit is turning the shower on in the morning and brushing his teeth while he waits for the water to heat up… which takes about 10 seconds, but he brushes his teeth for about 3 minutes, so all that hot water is completely wasted! Drives me nuts but I’m sure I do plenty of things to annoy him too… :)

10. Dusty says:

This sounds just like me and it makes me laugh. We moved from Florida (no winter) and South Carolina (pretty darn cold sometimes) a few years ago. At first, I cranked the heat down and continued to walk around in shorts. I finally got tired of spending $350 a month on our gas bill. Now I wear sweats and even bought a space heater, which saves us a few hundred dollars a month.

11. Great blog, first time here and I’m glad I had a chance to get over here. I’m trying not to turn the furnace on yet,but have found myself inching it up alittle in the mornings then down to 60 during the day. A sweater or sweatshirt has been going on instead of running to the thermostat. One thing I’ve noticed with the younger age group (great neices and teenagers) when they need a paper towel they will wrap it around their hand like it was toilet paper and wipe up a little spot of water!! That seems to make me cringe inside,drives me whacky (I know it’s only papertowels but they cost a bit of money.)and I find myself saying use that towel on the counter instead of the paper. Then I get this look like “what’s your problem?” Well there that felt good getting that off my chest. lol

Frugal chick- My husband does this too and it drives me up a wall!

Amber- that’s funny. I think all that matters is you try your hardest. :)

FruGal- I know what you mean. We have to let our shower get hot for a minute but sometimes I turn the water off when I’m lathering up to make up for it.

Dusty- I’ve got a space heater too and I love that thing. Some people think it doesn’t save that much money, but I love mine!

JJ- Thanks for stopping by! I feel the same way about paper towels. I hate wasting money on them, and it is so easy to just use a towel. :)

14. Sue says:

My husband insists on using paper plates when he eats our homemade pizza. No idea why. Just an old habit I suppose.

He also turns the light on when he eats a meal, whether it’s day or night.

We live in a very tropical climate so we have the aircon turned on at night for about 9 months of the year just to get a decent sleep. In the really hot months he likes it as cold as the fridge and then I need extra blankets. A difficult one to change.

He leaves the TV on and walks out of the room.

He accepts the fact that I come along behind him and turn things off!

Sue- That is too funny. I am glad everyone’s significant other does things that frustrate them too!

1. Freeze Yer Buns Challenge | The Ultimate Money Blog 16 11 08
  2. Tweets that mention Your Spouse’s Unfrugal Habits | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green!, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! | Your Spouse’s Unfrugal Habits, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! » Blog Archive » Your Spo 15 10 10