2011 Financial and Life Goals

Posted by Mrs Money on January 7th, 2011

Last year, the goals I set were purely financial. It was hit or miss on whether or not we actually met them, but overall I’m happy with our finances and we’re debt free so that’s pretty much all that matters. This year, instead of making the goals all about money, I decided that I would set some different goals that included life experiences. After all, that’s the real reason we spend our money wisely: to enjoy life. With that said, here are some goals I’d like to work toward this year.

1. Keep up with the clutter and declutter 365 items from our house this year. I won’t be alone in this challenge, so that’s good to know! I’m a little intimidated by the number, but I am thinking once I get started it really won’t be too bad.

2. Pay at least $3,000 down on the principal of our mortgage. The mortgage is a debt that doesn’t hang over my head quite like the student loans did, but it’s still debt nonetheless. It feels really good to see the principal balance go down, so this is something I would like to do.

3. Travel to somewhere fun and exciting. Even though it will cost us money, I think it’s money well spent. We value going to new places and exploring more so than we enjoy new Stuff, so I think the hardest part of this will be deciding where to go (and then parting with the money!) I’d love to be able to take a couple trips with Mr. Money, but I think one big trip will have to be all that we take this year. Who knows, this may be the last kid free vacation we’ll be able to take!

4. Get knocked up. Self explanatory. I’m hoping this year we finally get pregnant. If it doesn’t happen in 2011, we’ll probably look into other ways to become parents, and maybe even through adoption. I hope that we can have at least one child of our own. Keep your fingers crossed for me if you will!

5. Live on one salary. I think living on Mr. Money’s salary alone will be good practice for what will happen if goal #4 finally is accomplished. When we have a baby, I plan on staying at home to raise the baby, so living on one salary will be good practice. With my salary, we can save it for the future and maybe even tackle some fun home improvement projects.

6. Make more money from side hustles. Whether it be that I actually start making soap and selling it, or I pick up some freelance writing, I would like to increase my income aside from my 9-5 job. It would be awesome if I could increase my side hustle income enough to go part time at my 9-5 job!

7. Stay debt free! After paying off credit card debt, student loan debt, and a car loan, I’m over having debt! It feels amazing each month to not have the worry of all those different payments coming out of our checking account each month. I love having fewer and fewer bills!

Those are the things I’d like to tackle this year. I think they are all goals that will make me happy when they are finally accomplished.

Here’s to a happy and successful 2011!

21 Responses to “2011 Financial and Life Goals”

1. krantcents says:

All good goals. Accomplishing goals requirs more work and certainly monitoring. Good luck.

krantcents- Thanks!!

2. Jessica07 says:

I’m right along with you on goals number 1, 4, 6, and 7! We can do it together! [Grabs hand and walks off into the sunset. Curtain lowers.] LOL! / No, seriously. I do wish you all the best in succeeding with each goal—especially number 4. :)

Jessica- I’ll keep my fingers crossed for both of us! :)

3. Cynthia says:

Those are great goals! Good luck on achieving every single one of them!

Cynthia- Thanks so much!

Great goals, good luck! What is your plan for the extra $3k off your mortgage? Are you doing extra payments per month, or doing a lump sum?

Also — I really really want to declutter a ton in my apartment. It has taken on new life here now that Christmas is over!

Kacie- I am planning on doing extra payments each month and then if we haven’t hit it by the end of next year I’ll make a lump payment to meet the goal!

Join in on the decluttering fun! :) I have a feeling you’ll be moving back to IN this year…

5. Good luck with all your goals. I need to make decluttering one of mine!

Kay Lynn- I’d love to have you join the challenge! Thanks for the good luck wishes!

6. AJ says:

I hope you achieve #4!! I know how hard it is. Took us 6 years and it happened out of nowhere, just remember not to focus on it and stress out about it. :)

Also #5 is very important to prepare for #4. We did this to an extent and I’m so glad we did or we’d be in extreme debt. Our health insurance screwed us over and we were swamped with medical bills. Unfortunately we’re still paying some off, but banking my income for several months helped us pay of a majority of them as they came. Then we had a childrens hospital visit that was suppose to cost us 25%, but nooo, we’re being charged for 85% of it. Nevermind formula costs (I was breastfeeding, but my son had problems that required a special formula)! Diapers and wipes are easy to stock up on with coupons though.

I’m with you on #1 and #6. And #7 we hope to achieve in 2011!

AJ- Thanks so much! Congrats to you! :)

Good luck to you as well- I hate health insurance and wish there was an easier option!

7. Great goals! Getting the debt down is the major goal. Even mortgage as paying a much as you can to principal and not interest.

Jeff- Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

8. Some great and interesting goals. I like how your trying to get rid of 365 things… I need to do that, have way to much just sitting around.

9. That’s a lot of items to declutter! I also like the travel and living on one income goals. Travel doesn’t have to be too expensive if you travel on a budget, and living on one income means the other can be used for pure savings and future capital. Good luck! :)

1. Tweets that mention 2011 Financial and Life Goals | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green!, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! | 2011 Financial and Life Goals, Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! » Blog Archive » 2011 Fin 07 01 11
  2. Wells Fargo Opened a Credit Card for My Business After I Said I Didn't Want One | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 24 02 11
  3. 2011 Goals Update | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 08 04 11
  4. 2011 Financial and Life Goals Recap | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 02 01 12
  5. 2012 Financial and Life Goals | Ultimate Money Blog- Save Money and Live Green! 06 01 12