Last year, the goals I set were purely financial. It was hit or miss on whether or not we actually met them, but overall I’m happy with our finances and we’re debt free so that’s pretty much all that matters. This year, instead of making the goals all about money, I decided that I would set some different goals that included life experiences. After all, that’s the real reason we spend our money wisely: to enjoy life. With that said, here are some goals I’d like to work toward this year.
1. Keep up with the clutter and declutter 365 items from our house this year. I won’t be alone in this challenge, so that’s good to know! I’m a little intimidated by the number, but I am thinking once I get started it really won’t be too bad.
2. Pay at least $3,000 down on the principal of our mortgage. The mortgage is a debt that doesn’t hang over my head quite like the student loans did, but it’s still debt nonetheless. It feels really good to see the principal balance go down, so this is something I would like to do.
3. Travel to somewhere fun and exciting. Even though it will cost us money, I think it’s money well spent. We value going to new places and exploring more so than we enjoy new Stuff, so I think the hardest part of this will be deciding where to go (and then parting with the money!) I’d love to be able to take a couple trips with Mr. Money, but I think one big trip will have to be all that we take this year. Who knows, this may be the last kid free vacation we’ll be able to take!
4. Get knocked up. Self explanatory. I’m hoping this year we finally get pregnant. If it doesn’t happen in 2011, we’ll probably look into other ways to become parents, and maybe even through adoption. I hope that we can have at least one child of our own. Keep your fingers crossed for me if you will!
5. Live on one salary. I think living on Mr. Money’s salary alone will be good practice for what will happen if goal #4 finally is accomplished. When we have a baby, I plan on staying at home to raise the baby, so living on one salary will be good practice. With my salary, we can save it for the future and maybe even tackle some fun home improvement projects.
6. Make more money from side hustles. Whether it be that I actually start making soap and selling it, or I pick up some freelance writing, I would like to increase my income aside from my 9-5 job. It would be awesome if I could increase my side hustle income enough to go part time at my 9-5 job!
7. Stay debt free! After paying off credit card debt, student loan debt, and a car loan, I’m over having debt! It feels amazing each month to not have the worry of all those different payments coming out of our checking account each month. I love having fewer and fewer bills!
Those are the things I’d like to tackle this year. I think they are all goals that will make me happy when they are finally accomplished.
Here’s to a happy and successful 2011!